Monday, July 18, 2011

2012-2013 MSAR...disappointment

Well, my school's library recently shelved the 2012-2013 MSAR and for some reason removed the previous three editions. I eagerly grabbed the book and started thumbing through the pages to see if the MCAT and GPA stats have changed at my target schools. I was quickly disappointed when I discovered that AAMC no longer publishes the MCAT/GPA stats in the MSAR. In my opinion, the book is now nearly worthless. I guess it still has some value but I'll no longer be using it myself. I also think AAMC might offer MCAT/GPA stats in its online version if you're still looking for it.

At any rate, I had already taken a different approach to choosing my target schools and finding out info so this change in the MSAR doesn't really affect me. I put together a list of schools I'm interested in (mostly based on geography in my case) and created a spreadsheet. For each school, I created a new tab in Excel and then cut and paste the info from each school's website into its respective sheet. For me, this works better because each school seems to have slightly different requirements. Also, I found that schools' websites usually have different GPA/MCAT info than found in the MSAR books.

No comments:

Post a Comment