Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Moving Forward

Hopefully, you followed my advice from the last post and checked out AAMC's MCAT web page. I downloaded the .pdf files that detail each topic of the MCAT for quick reference in the future. To give you an idea of how far away I am from taking the MCAT, I'm projected to test in about 18-19 months from now. I think it is common for people to begin MCAT preparation 3-6 months out, but I want a head start. This doesn't mean I'm in full-blown study mode, but I'm doing what preparation I can now.

I'm still early in my prerequisites (Biology I, Physics I) so I don't think it would be beneficial for me to try a full practice exam (available for purchase at AAMC's website). Therefore, I'm starting with practicing the Verbal section, some basic Bio, and basic Physics.

The first MCAT book I bought was Examkrackers 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning. It is currently ranked #2 on Amazon's Bestseller MCAT Test Guides. Also, I don't have to wait to take a class (e.g., Organic Chemistry) before I can study the topic.

This book has good reviews so hopefully it will pay off.

Another study tool I'm using is Examkrackers MCAT Audio Osmosis.


It has mixed reviews on Amazon and I just started listening to it so I can't make an honest assessment at this point. I have listened to some of the basic Biology review so far because I just finished my Bio I course. As you'll see in the reviews, the sound effects and jokes are cheesy, but I do like the fact I can listen to this while in the car or out on a walk or jog. Beware, there are errors listed in an Amazon review and I think you can find another list of errors on the Examkrackers website. I haven't looked at the Bio practice exams yet but I feel like the Audio Osmosis might be light on the details, but it does seem to be convenient form of review nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Axl! That's my goal. In GnR terms, I have an Appetite for MCAT Destruction (sorry about that).

    ReplyDelete